Baccalaureate Degree Requirements
All candidates for the baccalaureate degree at LMU must fulfill the following requirements:
- All candidates in the undergraduate colleges must complete a minimum of 120 semester hours, including core and program requirements and 45 semester hours of upper-division course work. Certain programs require more than 120 semester hours. These are noted under the appropriate department listings.
- All work done at LMU must have a cumulative grade point average of C (2.0). All courses taken in the major, minor, or area of concentration must have a cumulative grade point average of C (2.0).
- At least 30 of the last 36 semester hours for the bachelor’s degree must be taken in residence at LMU. At least two-thirds of the upper division semester hours of the major must be taken in residence at LMU unless, for programmatic purposes, the dean and the director of the major deem an exception appropriate.
- A student is held responsible for academic regulations in effect at the time of entrance or for those in effect in the senior year provided the student maintains continuous enrollment. Similarly, a student who declares or changes a major after being admitted to the University is held responsible for the academic regulations in effect at the time the major is declared or changed. A student who interrupts LMU enrollment is subject to the academic regulations in effect in the University Bulletin at the time enrollment is resumed.
- Degrees are awarded at the end of the Spring term, August 31, and December 31. The date of the degree posted on a student’s diploma is the one by which all graduation requirements are completed or documents are submitted. These include:
- A submission of transcripts from other institutions prior to the degree date. The transfer course(s) must be completed prior to degree date, and an official transcript must be received in the Office of the Registrar no later than 30 working days after the end of the term.
- The completion of all incomplete work prior to the degree date;
- File application for degree by the deadline date for the term in which all of the above conditions will be met. If a student has been canceled for graduation in a given term, it is the responsibility of the student to again file for graduation for a later term;
- All course requirements for a degree must be completed or be in progress before or during the term of degree conferral.
Second Baccalaureate Degree
A student who possesses an earned bachelor’s degree from an institution accredited by one of the six regional associations of the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities may earn a second undergraduate degree with a different major field of study by meeting all of the following requirements:
- Completion of at least 30 semester hours at LMU beyond those required for the first degree; these must include at least 24 semester hours of upper division work and at least 20 semester hours of upper division work in the major field of study;
- Fulfillment of the core requirements of the College or School in which the major is offered;
- Satisfaction of all the requirements for the major;
- Completion of the application for degree process (c.f., #5 above).