There are two tracks available in the biochemistry major, ACS-certified track and General track.
The Bachelor of Science degree program, approved by the Committee on Professional Training of the American Chemical Society (ACS), ACS certified track in Biochemistry, is designed to prepare the student not only for immediate entry into the profession of biochemistry at the Bachelor’s level but also for graduate study toward advanced degrees.
The Bachelor of Science degree program, General track in Biochemistry, provides the student with a flexible program that builds upon a solid fundamental knowledge in chemistry and biochemistry. Students work with their advisors/chairperson to select upper division elective courses in emphasis areas like health sciences–which include but are not limited to medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, optometry–and areas such as forensics, environmental chemistry, education, etc.
Student learning outcomes for the biochemistry major:
- Students understand essential concepts in chemistry and biochemistry.
- Students exhibit competence in the chemistry/biochemistry laboratory.
- Students demonstrate the ability to think critically in analyzing scientific information and problem solving.
- Students will demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills.
- Students are knowledgeable about career opportunities in the chemical sciences.
- Students appreciate the value of science to society.