May 22, 2019
This program is for any educators who are interested in furthering their understanding of educational leadership to acquire the skills and dispositions needed to lead schools effectively. LMU’s Preliminary Administrative Services Credential (Tier I) program is specifically designed to prepare candidates for administration positions in public, private, charter, and Catholic schools. The Tier I credential is a requirement in many districts as well as for many higher-level district positions.
Program Admissions Requirements
- Graduate Application
- 2 Letters of recommendation
- One from applicant’s school principal
- Verification of prior teaching experience
- Verification of employment
- 2 sealed official transcripts from each college/university attended
- CBEST passing scores (or equivalent)
- Copy of valid teaching and/or service credential
- Bachelor’s degree
- Statement of Intent addressing:
- Applicant’s understanding of diversity, social justice, and student achievement. Discuss its implications for leadership and how it intersects with your personal leadership in your current school setting, as well as future administrative leadership roles.
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0, or a 3.05 in the last 60 undergraduate units, or a 3.0 in at least 9 graduate units
- For applicants who completed an undergraduate/graduate degree outside of the U.S.A.:
- Transcript evaluations
- TOEFL or IELTS minimum score
A minimum of five years of experience working under a valid CA base Credential, in addition to satisfactorily completing all program requirements. For this reason, it is recommended that eligible applicants have at least three years of experience at the time of applying.
Individuals must satisfy all of the following requirements in addition to their program of study in order to be eligible for credential recommendation:
- Possess a valid prerequisite credential.
- Complete a Commission-approved program of specialized and professional preparation in administrative services resulting in the formal recommendation of the program sponsor (LMU’s CA Preliminary [Tier I] Administrative Services Credential Program)
- Satisfy the California basic skills requirement.
- Complete five years of full-time experience.
- Verify employment in an administrative position.
- EDLA 6421 Vision of Learning for Diverse Students, Families, Staff, and Community and Residency/Fieldwork Component 4 semester hours
- EDLA 6422 Responding to Diversity: Access, Equity, and Educational Opportunity 3 semester hours
- EDLA 6423 Student Learning and Professional Growth for Diverse Students, Families, Staff, and Community and Residency/Fieldwork Component 4 semester hours
- EDLA 6425 Transforming Organizations for Diverse Students, Families, Staff, and Community and Residency/Fieldwork Component 4 semester hours
- EDLA 6426 Instructional Technology for School Leaders 2 semester hours
- EDLA 6427 Advocacy from a Legal Perspective 3 semester hours
- EDLA 6428 Business of Education 3 semester hours
- EDLA 6995 Comprehensive Examination 0 semester hours