Jun 23, 2018
This program is for any educators who are interested in furthering their understanding of educational leadership to acquire the skills and dispositions needed to lead schools effectively.
Based on academic and professional background and career goals, the MA may be taken as a stand-alone program, be combined with the Charter School Leadership Certificate program, or (for applicants who hold a valid California base credential and have a minimum of three years full-time experience with that credential) be combined with the Preliminary CA Administrative Services (Tier I) Credential program. The requirements outlined below are for the standalone program only.
Program Admissions Requirements
- Graduate Application
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- One letter must be from employing school prinicipal
- 2 sealed, official transcripts from each college/university attended
- Bachelor’s degree
- Statement of Intent addressing:
- Applicant’s understanding of diversity, social justice, and student achievement. Discuss its implications for leadership and how it intersects with your personal leadership in your current school setting, as well as future administrative leadership roles.
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0, or a 3.05 in your last 60 undergraduate units, or a 3.0 in at least 9 graduate units is required.
- For applicants who completed an undergraduate/graduate degree outside of the U.S.A.:
- Transcript evaluations
- TOEFL or IELTS minimum score
- Capstone Oral Examination
- EDLA 6105 Assessment and Research Methodology 3 semester hours
- EDLA 6421 Vision of Learning for Diverse Students, Families, Staff, and Community and Residency/Fieldwork Component 4 semester hours
- EDLA 6422 Responding to Diversity: Access, Equity, and Educational Opportunity 3 semester hours
- EDLA 6423 Student Learning and Professional Growth for Diverse Students, Families, Staff, and Community and Residency/Fieldwork Component 4 semester hours
- EDLA 6425 Transforming Organizations for Diverse Students, Families, Staff, and Community and Residency/Fieldwork Component 4 semester hours
- EDLA 6426 Instructional Technology for School Leaders 2 semester hours
- EDLA 6427 Advocacy from a Legal Perspective 3 semester hours
- EDLA 6428 Business of Education 3 semester hours
In addition to the courses listed above, candidate must take two out of the three electives listed below: