Apr 21, 2019
The Master of Arts program emphasizes the preparation of highly qualified elementary school teachers to conduct quality bilingual and intercultural education for a variety of student populations. This combined program fulfills all the requirements for the Master of Arts in Bilingual Education degree and the 2042 Multiple Subjects Preliminary Teaching Credential with a Bilingual Authorization in Spanish or Mandarin.
Program Admissions Requirements
- Minimum language competency in target language (Spanish or Mandarin)
- Attendance at an Information Session (for Credential Candidates Only)
- Please contact the School of Education Admissions Coordinator to attend an information session. Applicants will receive an information packet that includes all application materials and instructions.
- Graduate Application
- Candidate Information Sheet
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- At least 1 letter must verify the applicant’s experience and familiarity with the elementary school age group.
- Letters cannot be written by family members or friends.
- Technology Requirement Form
- Fingerprint Clearance Form
- Statement of Intent
- 3-5 page essay describing how applicant’s experiences, qualities, and goals reflect the School of Education’s conceptual framework: REAL (Respect, Educate, Advocate, Lead).
- 2 sealed, official transcripts from all colleges and/or universities attended
- Verification of 20 hours of experience working with culturally diverse youth in the age group applicant plans to teach.
- Professional Resume
- Proof of satisfying California’s Basic Skills Requirement
- Official CBEST passing scores or equivalent
- Subject Matter Competency Test (CSET) Plan of Action
- Certificate of Clearance (COC)
- Proof of Satisfying the U.S. Constitution Requirement
- Tuberculin Skin Test Results
- Interview with Program Director
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0, or a 3.05 in the last 60 undergraduate units, or a 3.0 in at least 9 graduate units
- For applicants who completed an undergraduate/graduate degree outside of the U.S.A.:
- Transcript evaluations
- TOEFL or IELTS minimum score
One of the following courses that aligns with the subject area emphasis of the credential:
Choose one of the following courses:
And the following three (3) courses in alignment with the target language of the applicant’s bilingual authorization:
- Prerequisite Coursework
- Student Teaching Requirements
- Bilingual Authorization
- Teaching Performance Assessments
- Health Education for Educators
- Professional Advising
- CSET Score Report
- Disposition Rubric
- MA Coursework
- Fieldwork Application
- CSET LOTE III
- Culminating Fieldwork Requirements
- Comprehensive Examination
- Exit Interview
- Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (RICA)