Loyola Marymount University Bulletin 2011-2012
Loyola Marymount University Bulletin 2011-2012 > University Facilities
Up one level:
In this section:
Academic and Administrative
A complex of five buildings, the Burns Fine Arts Center was opened in 1984. In Hogan Hall and Lemon Hall are housed the primary studios of the Dance Program, studios, and classrooms utilized by the Department of Art and Art History, the Department of Music rehearsal rooms and classrooms, as well as the offices of faculty dedicated to the various Fine Arts disciplines. The three additional buildings located here are the Laband Art Gallery, Murphy Recital Hall, and the Burns Faculty Center, which houses the Thomas P. Kelly Student Art Gallery.
The Harry & Kathleen Daum Hall, on the east side of campus, was erected in 1998. The Academic Resource Center is located on the second floor. The Los Angeles Loyolan and The Tower have offices in this building. Information Technology Services also has offices here.
Daum Hall Annex houses the ROAR Television Network.
The Jerome and Elvira Doolan Building, built in 1985, houses Computer Science and Engineering faculty, classrooms, and laboratories.
East Hall houses the Human Performance Lab, the Scene Shop, Event Operations, and space for Facilities Management.
The Engineering Design Center is located adjacent to East Hall and is a lab for mechanical engineering students.
Facilities Management, remodeled in 2002, houses Administrative, Building Management, Construction, Grounds Transportation, and Plant Operations Sustainability.
Foley Annex houses classrooms and offices, including Environmental Health and Safety, and Public Safety. Also, this annex accommodates faculty offices for the Frank R. Seaver College of Science and Engineering.
Foley Building, constructed in 1962, houses the Charles H. Strub Memorial Theatre, faculty offices, seminar rooms, and computer labs. It is named after Edward T. Foley, a benefactor of the University.
Located on the bluff between the Jesuit Community and the Leavey Residence Halls, the William H. Hannon Library was designed by AECOM and built by Snyder Langston. It opened in July 2009. Named for long-time LMU benefactor and Distinguished Alumnus William H. Hannon, the library is comprised of 120,928 square feet, with three levels above ground and a two-story basement below ground for high density collections storage. The building has seating for 865.
The Conrad N. Hilton Center for Business opened in the Fall of 1995. It houses classrooms, meeting rooms, lecture halls, faculty offices, Information Services, the Asian Business Center, and a 350-seat auditorium in a spacious, technologically advanced facility.
The Dorothy and Thomas E. Leavey Center, erected in 1968, houses the Ignatian Center for Spirituality, the Collins Faculty & Alumni Center, various athletic coaches' offices, and a chapel.
The LMU Children's Center was established in 2002 and is adjacent to Hannon Apartments.
Malone Memorial Student Center, named in honor of the late Fr. Lorenzo M. Malone, S.J., former Vice President of the University, was completed in August 1958. Renovation and expansion of the Center was completed in August 1996. Located in the Center are the Senior Vice President for Student Affairs, Department of Student Life, Associated Student offices, Campus Ministry Center, student dining, Career Development Services, Ethnic and Intercultural Services, and conference rooms. In addition, the Lion’s Den, Living Room, and The Hill are located in this building.
North Hall and South Hall, located on the east side of the campus, house the Del Rey Theatre, the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies, the Natural Science department, classrooms, Science and Engineering labs, the Center for Student Success, and faculty offices.
Pereira Annex, located behind Pereira Hall, includes staff from the Santa Monica Bay Restoration Commission and faculty offices for the Frank R. Seaver College of Science and Engineering as its residents.
Pereira Hall, erected in 1955, houses the Frank R. Seaver College of Science and Engineering Dean’s offices, classrooms, faculty offices, computer labs, and engineering labs. In 2011, the James E. Foxworthy, Ph.D., Fluid Hydraulics Laboratory was dedicated. This building is named in honor of Br. John Pereira, S.J., who was responsible for much of the landscaping on the early campus.
Research Annex, erected in 1970, houses faculty offices and labs for the Frank R. Seaver College of Science and Engineering.
The Frank R. Seaver Hall of Science, erected in 1962, houses the departments of Biology, Chemistry and Biochemistry, and Physics and Engineering Physics. In addition to 22 undergraduate and research laboratories, the building contains faculty offices, seminar rooms, classrooms, and a computer lab.
St. Robert’s Hall, erected in 1929, houses classrooms, the offices of the Dean of the College of Communication and Fine Arts and the Dean of the School of Film and Television, and in the annex, the Center for Service and Action. St. Robert Bellarmine, S.J., was a theologian and is a doctor of the Church.
University Hall, opened in 2000, houses University Administration, classrooms, faculty administration, an auditorium, dining facilities, Campus Graphics, and the following staff departments: University Relations; Human Resources; LMU Extension; Distribution Center; Controller’s Office; Payroll; Graduate Division; Thomas and Dorothy Leavey Center for the Study of Los Angeles; Classroom Management; Marymount Institute for Faith, Culture, and the Arts; the Dean’s office for the Bellarmine College of Liberal Arts; University Honors Program; the Dean’s office for the School of Education; the Doctoral Program for the School of Education; and the Sponsored Projects Office.
The Charles Von der Ahe Building, named for its principal donor, was constructed in 1959 as the University’s library. In 2010 it became a central location for Undergraduate Admission, the Office of the Registrar, Financial Aid, Study Abroad, Global Education, Student Financial Services, OneCard Office, the Bookstore, Student Innovation Center, Alumni Relations, and various Student Affairs offices including Parent Programs, The Learning Community, Off-Campus Student Life, First Year Experience, Transfer Programs, Veteran Programs, and the Office for International Students and Scholars.
Wil and Mary Jane Von der Ahe Communication Arts Building, completed in 1971, houses the Louis B. Mayer Motion Picture Theatre, faculty offices, Animation facilities, film classrooms, conference room, color television studios, and motion picture sound stage.
Xavier Hall, one of the first buildings constructed on this campus in the 1920s, is home to faculty offices for the School of Film and Television and Conferences. St. Francis Xavier, S.J., was an original companion of St. Ignatius.
The Jane Browne Bove Boathouse was completed in 2002. The boathouse is in Marina del Rey.
The Fritz B. Burns Recreation and Aquatics Center, completed in August 2000, holds a fitness center, multipurpose center, concession stand, a pool, two gyms, and the recreation offices, plus the Student Health Center and Student Psychological Services.
The Albert Gersten Athletic Pavilion, dedicated in early 1982, expands the University’s existing facilities to accommodate the intercollegiate athletic program, support facilities, Founder’s Room, and Weight Room.
Leavey Field is situated on top of Drollinger Parking Plaza. Since 1995, it has provided space for Intramurals and intercollegiate sports.
The Lions Athletic Center opened in 2011. It houses the Chad and Ginni Dreier Family Weight Room, four locker rooms, a laundry room, athletics' ticket center, executive conference rooms, one of which is sponsored by the Alpha Delta Gamma fraternity, and offices.
On Sullivan Field, adjacent to the Pavilion, are located other athletic facilities of the University. These include the Burns Aquatics Center, LMU Tennis Center and the Morris A. Pivaroff and George P. Kading Tournament Court, George C. Page Baseball Stadium, Smith Field ballpark and the Lion's Cage baseball batting facility, Thomas Higgins, S.J., Short Game Center for golf practice, and soccer facilities.
The Chapel of the Sacred Heart was completed in 1953. It has a seating capacity of 800. The Regents Memorial Tower and the Regents Tower clock were donated by the classes of 1961 and 1962; the tower has become a landmark of the campus.
Huesman Chapel, dedicated in 1947, is located in Huesman Hall.
Leavey Chapel was dedicated as the Chapel of Our Lady of Good Hope in 1968. This chapel is in the Dorothy and Thomas E. Leavey Center.
Mary Chapel, located inside the Chapel of the Sacred Heart, is used for daily mass and other liturgies.
The Marymount Center for Prayer and Peace hosts a chapel space for interfaith functions. Located in University Hall, the Marymount Institute, endowed by a generous contribution from the Leavey Foundation, established the Marymount Center in 2001.
Xavier Chapel is the worship space for the Jesuit Community. Located in Xavier Hall, the former Jesuit residence, it was built in 1928.
Loyola Law School
Established in 1920, Loyola Law School is one of the oldest law schools in Southern California. The campus is located in the Pico-Union district near downtown Los Angeles. Expansion of facilities began in 1980 under the direction of internationally acclaimed architect, Frank O. Gehry. The completed campus includes the William M. Rains Library, the Fritz B. Burns Academic Center, three lecture buildings, the Chapel of the Advocate, the Rev. Charles S. Casassa Building, the Albert H. Girardi Advocacy Center, and the Student Services Center.
Del Rey North and Del Rey South Halls, opened in 2005, house approximately 200 students each and includes a dining facility, the Founders Arena.
Desmond Hall, erected in 1958, was named in honor of the Daniel and C.C. Desmond, generous benefactors of the University.
Doheny Hall was completed in 1986 and houses 120 students. The building is named for University benefactor, Carrie Estelle Doheny.
Hannon Apartments, erected in 1978, were named in honor of Eugenie B. Hannon, mother of William H. Hannon, alumnus, benefactor, and honorary trustee. They house 282 upperclass students and include The Loft.
Huesman Hall, erected in 1947, houses men and has a chapel and movie theater. It is named for Ralph R. Huesman, uncle of alumnus, Fred B. Huesman, and former trustee, John Huesman, S.J.
The Jesuit Community Residence, Ignatius Commons, built in 1999, accommodates the members of the Society of Jesus.
Leavey 4, 5, and 6 are apartment buildings. Leavey 4 was built in 2002, Leavey 5 in 2003, and Leavey 6 in 2005. The latter also includes Student Housing and a convenience store.
McCarthy Hall, erected in 1996, was the first residence hall built on the Leavey Campus. It accommodates 247 students. It is named in honor of J. Thomas McCarthy, philanthropist and generous benefactor of the University.
McKay Hall, erected in 1968, contains a diner-style restaurant. It is named for Sr. M. Raymunde McKay, R.S.H.M., former President of Marymount College.
O’Malley Student Apartments, completed in summer 2000, accommodates 164 students. It is named in honor of former LMU president Fr. Thomas P. O’Malley, S.J.
Rains Hall, on the Leavey Campus, was built in 1997. Named in honor of Lilore Green Rains, a philanthropist and generous benefactor of the University, this building houses 300 students.
Rosecrans Hall, erected in 1962, was named in honor of William S. Rosecrans, for many years Chairman of the Board of Regents and a generous benefactor of the University.
Sullivan, erected in 1947, is named for former Loyola College president, Joseph A. Sullivan, S.J. Located here are Sullivan Lounge and the Sullivan Academic Center.
Tenderich Apartments, completed January 1971, accommodates 143 students in 39 units. Tenderich is named for Ernst and Gertrude Tenderich, parents of former trustee, Mary Kretschmar.
Whelan Hall was completed in the summer of 1965. It is named for Rev. Edward J. Whelan, S.J., President of Loyola University from 1942 to 1949.
Social and Recreation Facilities
The Bird Nest, adjacent to Del Rey North, offers a beautiful view of Marina del Rey, Santa Monica, and the Pacific Ocean. The Bird Nest sponsors and hosts a wide variety of events.
Lawton Plaza was dedicated in 2010 as a multi-purpose amphitheater. Depending on the configuration, the Plaza can seat up to 1,300. It is named after the fourteenth president of LMU, Robert B. Lawton, S.J.
The Loft, located in the heart of the Hannon Apartments, Tenderich Apartments, and McKay residence hall, provides the southern campus with an informal, comfortable location to host a variety of events. The Loft was built in 1978 and renovated in 1994 and 2007.
Adjacent to St. Robert’s Hall is St. Robert’s Auditorium, which plays host to hundreds of events and programs from educational conferences and panel discussions to dances, speakers, and concerts. The auditorium can accommodate up to 350 people.
Expand All • Collapse All