May 28, 2020
University Core Curriculum of Liberal Studies, B.A.
I. University Core Curriculum
40 Semester Hours
Subject-matter requirements set by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing are very specific. Therefore, many of the core requirements for Liberal Studies majors are specified and may differ from those of other majors within the Bellarmine College of Liberal Arts. The core course requirements are spread across 13 courses and three areas - Foundations, Explorations, and Integrations - and include six core "flags."
- First Year Seminar (3 semester hours)
- Rhetorical Arts (3 semester hours)
- Quantitative Reasoning: MATH 106 Mathematics for Elementary Teachers I (3 semester hours). Liberal Studies majors must take a placement test and either test out of or take MATH 101 as a prerequisite to MATH 106 .
- Theological Inquiry (3 semester hours)
- Philosophical Inquiry (3 semester hours)
- Studies in American Diversity: Choose from advisor approved list (3 semester hours)
- Creative Experience: Choose from advisor approved list (3 semester hours)
- Historical Analysis and Perspective (3 semester hours)
- Understanding Human Behavior (3 semester hours)
- Nature of Science, Technology, and Mathematics: SCEM 270 Experimenting in Science I (4 semester hours)
Choose from advisor approved list for each of the following Integrations courses:
- Faith and Reason (3 semester hours)
- Ethics and Justice (3 semester hours)
- Interdisciplinary Connections (3 semester hours)
Additionally, students fulfill the "flag" requirements as follows:
- Writing (2 flags)
- Oral Skills (1 flag)
- Information Literacy (1 flag)
- Quantitative Reasoning (1 flag)
- Engaged Learning (1 flag)
II. Liberal Studies Major Requirements
35 semester hours
III. Education Program Requirements
21 semester hours
* Starred courses require a separate application to and acceptance into the Elementary Education program or the Mild/Moderate Specialist Credential program. Acceptance into either of these programs requires an LMU cumulative GPA of 3.0. See the Director of Liberal Studies for other application requirements.
Liberal Studies majors fulfill the multiple subjects student teaching requirement for the teaching credential by completing 9 semester hours of EDCE 410 Elementary Directed Teaching , which are applied toward both the semester hour requirement for the baccalaureate degree and the requirements for the credential within the state of California.
12-18 semester hours
In addition to the above requirements, all Liberal Studies majors complete a minimum of 12 semester hours of coursework in a chosen area of concentration which represents a subject area generally taught in elementary schools or a related area of study. With careful planning, the concentration can constitute most, if not all, of an LMU minor. See the Director of Liberal Studies for qualifying concentrations and their specific requirements.