Dec 04, 2022
The Undergraduate Teacher Preparation pathway in Secondary Education is designed for undergraduate students who are seeking teaching positions in grades 6-8 or 9-12 school settings that require teachers to teach in departments. The pathway fulfills all the requirements for a California Preliminary 2042 Multiple Subjects Teaching Credential.
The following Single Subject Preliminary credentials are offered:
- Social Science
Students accepted into the University are not automatically accepted into the School of Education upon matriculation. Students must apply to the School of Education to enroll in the necessary coursework to earn a preliminary teaching credential. The program admission requirements are listed in the section headed "Program Admission Requirements" below.
Program Admission Requirements
- Complete one of the following two prerequisite course combinations and maintain a GPA of 2.8 or better:
- Attend a Mandatory Application Information Session
- Contact the School of Education Enrollment Management Assistant Director to attend an information session. Applicants will receive an information packet that includes all application materials and instructions.
- Teacher Education Application form
- Candidate Information Sheet
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- 1 letter from an LMU Professor
- 1 letter that speaks to the candidate's experience in working with children in the target age group
- 1 additional letter that can be a recommendation from either of the two above. Cannot be from a family member or friend.
- Technology Requirement Form
- Statement of Intent
- 1-2 pages, double spaced, addressing the following:
- Why you want to go into teaching
- Your personal values in reference to the School of Education's REAL conceptual framework
- 1 sealed official transcript from all colleges/universities attended (other than LMU)
- Verification of Experience form
- Unofficial LMU transcript (retrieved through PROWL)
- Verification of 20 hours of experience working with culturally diverse youth in the age group applicant plans to teach (ages 5-13)
- Copy of valid California 2042 Preliminary Teaching Credential
- Proof of satisfying California's Basic Skill Requirement
- Official CBEST passing scores or equivalent (SAT, ACT, etc.)
- Subject Matter Competency Exam (CSET) Plan of Action
- Students must demonstrate mastery of the required subject matter by passing the Multiple Subject California Subject Matter Exam for Teachers (Multiple Subjects CSET). Results of the CSET are valid for only five years.
- CTC Certificate of Clearance (COC)
- U.S. Constitution Requirement--Satisfied by one of the following:
- Successful completion of approved LMU course
- Completing an equivalent course at another institution. The course must be reviewed and approved by the School of Education. Candidate must present a course syllabus and official transcript.
- Interview with Academic Program Director
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0, or a 3.05 in the last 60 undergraduate units, or a 3.0 in at least 9 graduate units is required.
Total: 32-35 semester hours
- EdTPA (TBD)
- Professional Advising
- Official CSET Score Report
- Disposition Rubric
- Fieldwork Application
- Culminating Fieldwork Requirements
- Exit Interview
- Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (RICA)
- Application for Credential