Nov 28, 2023  
Loyola Marymount University Bulletin 2019-2020 
Loyola Marymount University Bulletin 2019-2020 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Spanish Minor

For objectives and student learning outcomes, please see “Spanish Major.”


Lower Division Requirements:


SPAN 2101 , SPAN 2102 , and SPAN 2103 /2113  may be satisfied by placing above that level through the LMU Spanish Placement Exam. A minimum grade of C (2.0) is required in all lower division Spanish courses.

Upper Division Requirements:

The minor consists of 16 semester hours in upper division courses:


Students must complete all upper division courses with a minimum grade of C (2.0) to maintain status.

LMU Spanish Placement Exam

All students interested in taking a Spanish course, including SPAN 2101 , must take the LMU Spanish Placement Exam.

This requirement includes students who have taken an AP Spanish Exam in high school. A student who receives a score of 5 or 4 on the AP Spanish Exam (Language and/or Literature) might place in SPAN 2103 Spanish 3  or SPAN 2113 Spanish 3 for Latino Students . Final placement is conditional upon the instructor’s consent in consultation with the Spanish coordinator. The student’s Degree Works will reflect credit for SPAN 2101  and SPAN 2102  after official scores have been received from the College Board. It is the responsibility of each student to ensure that the official AP scores have been sent to Loyola Marymount University.

To know when and how a student should take a language placement exam in Spanish, please refer to the guidelines provided under Modern Languages and Literatures .

Students who need more semester hours to complete the Spanish major/minor because of their language placement must take additional courses in the language. In the event that there are no courses in the language, students may take MDLG 3400 , MDLG 4400 , or FNLT 4200  (provided it is related to language concentration). If additional classes are not available in the Modern Languages and Literatures Department, students may fulfill those credits with courses in the appropriate cultural studies areas (e.g., CLST , LBST ), with pre-approval from the Spanish coordinator and the Department Chair.

Study Abroad

Students considering study abroad are advised to go for a semester either during their sophomore year (Spring semester) or junior year (Fall or Spring semester). Consult the Study Abroad Office or the Spanish language professors for information about semester, year-long, or summer study abroad programs offered by universities other than those that the Spanish program endorses.

Prior to departure, students must obtain transfer credit approval for any Spanish (SPAN) course(s) that they plan to take.

No more than one (1) Spanish upper course will transfer for the major or minor. Be aware that some study abroad programs offer three (3) unit courses. If a course taken abroad is worth only 3 units, a student should take a second Spanish course to be able to transfer 4 units.