Dec 07, 2021
The fully online Certificate in Charter School Leadership Program is designed to equip candidates with the skills, knowledge, and dispositions needed to serve as educational leaders in California. The Program is rooted in the rationale that twenty-first century leaders require knowledge and skills in the following areas: systemic reform; reflective practice; ethical, moral, and collaborative decision-making; diversity and inclusion; critical inquiry; advocacy for technology and is accessibility to all stakeholders; transformative leadership; and assessment/research.
As a result of this program, candidates will:
- Demonstrate the skills, knowledge, and dispositions to serve as an Educational Leader in California with an emphasis on the specific needs of charter school leaders
- Articulate a vision for instructional leadership that includes a strong emphasis on cultural and linguistic diversity, special education, the successful development of English Language Learners, and the parent-school relationship
- Develop an understanding of the financial and operational aspects of charter school leadership
- Demonstrate their understanding of the fundamental aspects of charter school leadership and operations through the construction of a charter school petition
- Graduate Application
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- One letter must be from applicant's employer
- 1 sealed official transcript
- Charter Schools Program Agreement
- Bachelor's degree
- Statement of Intent addressing:
- Applicant's understanding of diversity, social justice, and student achievement. Discuss implications of these for leadership and how they intersect with your personal leadership in your current school setting, as well as in future administrative leadership roles.
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0, or a 3.05 in the last 60 undergraduate units, or a 3.0 in at least 9 graduate units is required.
- For applicants who completed an undergraduate/graduate degree outside of the U.S.A.:
- Transcript evaluations
- TOEFL or IELTS minimum score
Additional Program Requirements
- Petition Writing Lab
- Charter School Petition Culminating Project