Jan 18, 2022
Loyola Marymount University Bulletin 2021-2022
Preliminary Education Specialist Credential Intern Pathway Program
The Preliminary Education Specialist Credential Intern Pathway program prepares candidates from a variety of academic backgrounds to work with students with Mild/Moderate Disabilities. Completion of the program results in a California preliminary Education Specialist Mild/Moderate credential and is designed for a full-time teacher of record currently in an appropriate credential placement within a public or private school. This program serves traditional public schools, charter schools, and non-public schools.
As a result of this program, candidates will:
- Demonstrate reflective praxis through a Social Justice lens while actively engaging with all stakeholders included but not limited to persons listed in CTC Program Standard 4 (e.g., children, parents, educators, etc.)
- Exhibit knowledge and practice of professional, legal, and ethical standards to show evidence of engagement and educational practices to support all stakeholders
- Cultivate inclusive educational environments for all PK-12 diverse learners through the development and use of positive behavioral, social, and environmental supports for learning
- Apply knowledge of non-biased evidence-based principles of assessment and interpret data to make appropriate and equitable academic, behavioral, and instructional decisions
- Design lessons based on Universal Design for Learning (UDL) guidelines that are aligned to California content standards
- Utilize evidence-based differentiated strategies and implement engaging and developmentally appropriate culturally and linguistically sensitive instruction
Program Admission Requirements
- Graduate Application
- Candidate Information Sheet
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- At least 1 letter must verify the applicant's experience and familiarity with the elementary school age group.
- Letters cannot be written by family members of friends.
- Statement of Intent
- 3-5 page essay describing how applicant's experiences, qualities, and goals reflect the School of Education's conceptual framework: REAL (Respect, Educate, Advocate, Lead).
- 1 official transcript from all colleges and/or universities attended
- Verification of 20 hours of experience working with culturally diverse youth in the age group applicant plans to teach.
- Professional Resume
- Satisfy California's Basic Skills Requirement with official documentation per CTC guidelines.
- Satisfy Subject Matter Competency (i.e. CSET) per CTC guidelines with official documentation.
- Certificate of Clearance (COC)
- Proof of Satisfying the U.S. Constitution Requirement
- Tuberculin Skin Test Results
- Interview with Program Director
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0, or a 3.05 in the last 60 undergraduate units, or a 3.0 in at least 9 graduate units
- For applicants who completed an undergraduate/graduate degree outside of the U.S.A.:
- Transcript evaluations
- TOEFL or IELTS minimum score
*Specific partnerships may have alternate requirements different from those listed above. Contact appropriate Program Director or SOE Admissions for details.
Candidates who will be recommended for an Intern credential must complete pre-service coursework and requirements in order to be eligible for credential recommendation. These requirements are met by completing approved online coursework offered in collaboration with the Kern County Office of Education as well as certain professional development opportunities. These online courses meet the 120 hours of pre-service requirement.
Partnership candidates may be given pre-service hours through alternative professional development and training.
- Application for Credential
- CPR certification
- Professional Advising
- Disposition Rubric
- Fieldwork Application
- Culminating Fieldwork Requirement
- Exit Interview
- Verification of Experience
- Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (RICA)
- Private or Catholic Teacher-Practitioner: 10-20 observation hours in a public school setting required to meet the credential requirements
- Completion of Individualized Development Plan (IDP)
- Other partnership-specific requirements