Loyola Marymount University Bulletin 2021-2022
Educational Leadership, M.A.
This program is designed to prepare educational leaders across a variety of sectors to effectively lead their organizational communities with a commitment to social justice. This online MA is an innovative, updated, and relevant 18-month program built upon the success of LMU's current face-to-face MA in Educational Leadership program as well as the online Certificate in Catholic School Administration. The MA program emphasizes practitioner application of theory into authentic leadership experiences. Leadership skill building, critical reflection, and contemplative practice are integrated throughout the program of study. Consistent with best practices in adult learning theory, the program emphasizes improvement science around a problem of practice with the goal of producing leaders as scholar-practitioners. It is focused on culturally-relevant and community-focused practices. The MA in Educational Leadership program student learning outcomes align with standards of the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), California Professional Standards for Education Leaders (CPSEL), and Instructional Technology Standards for Education (ITSE).
Through the study of relevant leadership theory and participation in residency/fieldwork experiences designed to facilitate the application of theoretical concepts in a practical setting, candidates will:
1. Identify, develop, and articulate a clear and purposeful vision for integrating a positive culture, environment, and curriculum.
2. Articulate an intellectually rigorous program of education that promotes student academic success.
3. Identify, develop, and articulate a clear and purposeful vision of operational vitality and financial sustainability.
4. Research, interrogate, and articulate a vision for ensuring an equitable learning environment and whole-child educational approach for all students.
5. Implement action research in a learning organization.
Program Admissions Requirements
- Graduate Application
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- One letter must be from employer
- 1 sealed, official transcript from each college/university attended
- Bachelor's degree
- Statement of Intent addressing:
- Applicant's understanding of diversity, social justice, and student achievement. Discuss its implications for leadership and how it intersects with your personal leadership in your current school setting, as well as future administrative leadership roles.
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0, or a 3.05 in your last 60 undergraduate units, or a 3.0 in at least 9 graduate units is required.
Degree options and requirements:
Students must select one of the following degree pathway options:
- Online MA in Educational Leadership
- Online MA in Educational Leadership: Certificate in Charter School Management Pathway
- Online MA in Educational Leadership: Certificate in Catholic School Administration Pathway
Online MA in Educational Leadership
Online MA in Educational Leadership: Certificate in Charter School Management
- EDLA 6101 Foundations of Charter School Leadership: Vision of Learning for Diverse Students, Families, Staff, and Community 3 semester hours
- EDLA 6102 Charter School Instructional Leadership: Student Learning and Professional Growth for Diverse Students, Families, Staff, and Community 3 semester hours
- EDLA 6103 Specialized Charter School Leadership Preparation with Petition Writing Lab 4 semester hours
- EDLA 6429 Specializing in Charter Schools 3 semester hours
- EDLA 6201 Educational Leader as Researcher 3 semester hours
- EDLA 6204 Innovation, Entrepreneurial Leadership and Design Thinking 3 semester hours
- EDLA 6205 Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion 3 semester hours
- EDLA 6206 Cura Personalis: Fostering a Community of Care 3 semester hours
- EDLA 6208 Supervision, Coaching and a Culture of Professional Learning 3 semester hours
- EDLA 6209 Community, Family and Stakeholder Engagement 3 semester hours
- EDLA 6207 Governance, Law, and Policy 3 semester hours
- EDLA 6995 Comprehensive Examination 0 semester hours
Online MA in Educational Leadership: Certificate in Catholic School Administration Pathway