Apr 13, 2024  
Loyola Marymount University Bulletin 2015-2016 
Loyola Marymount University Bulletin 2015-2016 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Spanish Minor

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Academic Degrees and Programs


Lower Division Requirements:


SPAN 1101 , SPAN 2102 , and SPAN 2103 /2113  may be satisfied by placing above that level through the LMU Spanish Placement Exam. A minimum grade of C (2.0) is required in all lower division Spanish courses.

Upper Division Requirements:

The minor consists of 16 semester hours in upper division courses:

And one upper division 4000-level Spanish elective.


Students must complete all upper division courses with a minimum grade of C (2.0) to maintain status.

LMU Spanish Placement Exam

All students interested in taking a Spanish course, including SPAN 1101 , must take the LMU Spanish Placement Exam.

This requirement includes students who have taken an AP Spanish Exam in high school. A student who receives a score of 5 or 4 on the AP Spanish Exam (Language and/or Literature) might place in SPAN 2103 Spanish 3  or SPAN 2113 Spanish 3 for Latino Students . Final placement is conditional upon the instructor’s consent. The student’s CAPP report will reflect credit for SPAN 1101  and SPAN 2102  after official scores have been received from the College Board. It is the responsibility of each student to ensure that the official AP scores have been sent to Loyola Marymount University.

To know when and how a student should take a language placement exam in Spanish, please refer to the guidelines provided under Modern Languages and Literatures .

Students that need more semester hours to complete the major/minor because of their language placement must take additional courses in the language. In the event that there are no courses in the language, students may take MDLG 3400 , MDLG 4400 , or FNLT 4200  (provided it is related to language concentration). If additional classes are not available in the Modern Languages and Literatures Department, students may fulfill those credits with courses in the appropriate cultural studies areas (e.g., EURO, HMNT) in consultation with the language advisor and the Department Chair.

Study Abroad

Students are strongly encouraged to take language courses abroad for a semester either during their sophomore year (Spring semester) or junior year (Fall or Spring semester). Prior to departure, students must obtain transfer credit approval for any courses that they plan to take. No more than two Spanish courses will transfer for the major. Consult the Study Abroad Office or the Spanish language professors for information about semester, year-long, or summer study abroad programs offered by other universities other than those that the Spanish program endorses.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Academic Degrees and Programs