For objectives and student learning outcomes, please see “Spanish Major.”

LMU Spanish Placement Exam

All students interested in taking a Spanish course, including SPAN 2101 Spanish 1, must take the LMU Spanish Placement Exam.

This requirement includes students who have taken an AP Spanish Exam in high school. A student who receives a score of 5 or 4 on the AP Spanish Exam (Language and/or Literature) might place in SPAN 2103 Spanish 3 or SPAN 2113 Spanish 3 for Latino Students. Final placement is conditional upon the instructor’s consent in consultation with the Spanish coordinator. The student’s Degree Works will reflect credit for SPAN 2101 Spanish 1 and SPAN 2102 Spanish 2 after official scores have been received from the College Board. It is the responsibility of each student to ensure that the official AP scores have been sent to Loyola Marymount University.

To know when and how a student should take a language placement exam in Spanish, please refer to the guidelines provided under Modern Languages and Literatures.

Spanish courses in lower division (SPAN 2101 Spanish 1, SPAN 2102 Spanish 2, SPAN 2103 Spanish 3) can be waived without credit if students placed in SPAN 2804 Stylistics and Composition in their placement exam. Waived no-credit classes do not have to be made up to complete the Spanish minor. Credit earned from AP Language and/or Literature exams will be applied as general credits.

Study Abroad

Students considering study abroad are advised to go for a semester either during their sophomore year (Spring semester) or junior year (Fall or Spring semester). Consult the Study Abroad Office or the Spanish language professors for information about semester, year-long, or summer study abroad programs offered by universities other than those that the Spanish program endorses.

Prior to departure, students must obtain transfer credit approval for any Spanish (SPAN) course(s) that they plan to take from the Spanish coordinator and the Department Chair.

No more than one (1) Spanish upper division course will transfer for the major or minor. Be aware that most study abroad programs offer three (3) unit courses. If a course taken abroad is worth only 3 units, a student should take a second Spanish course to be able to transfer 4 units.